is it a GPL violation or not ?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Aug 24 16:12:38 UTC 2002

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 09:14:30AM +0200, Jerome Alet wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 02:10:18AM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >
> > This is NOT a GPL compatible license, however if they do not distribute
> > the program with your library and the GPL Library is not necessary to
> > run the program then it is not a GPL violation if a user compile by
> > itself the program and link the library and do not distribute the whole
> > thing.
>
> The library is absolutely necessary to run the program successfully.
> It is used unconditionnally.

If someone wants to use your library, the resulting product
has to be under GNU GPL for the user.

If they only distribute their part (under that non-free license
you've stated) then they do not immedeatly violate the GNU GPL.
However nobody is allowed to link it to your library.
Someone would argu, that they could not develop their program
without using your library so I'm quite sure that this would be
violation of your licensing terms.