Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Sat Apr 6 19:21:02 UTC 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 04:56:05PM +0100, Jo?o Miguel Neves wrote:
> On S?b, 2002-04-06 at 10:58, MJ Ray wrote:
> > RAND is not good enough, is it?
> >
> No, because RAND licenses are per copy, so you can't have the freedom to
> redistribute the program. This means it can't be used on Free Software.

Why do we care about those patents at all? I agree that the USA is an
important part of the world, but it isn't *the* world. We don't have
patents in Europe and hopefully never get them. This means patents
aren't a problem for all developers in non-USA world. You have the
freedom to redistributie the program, only in some countries where the
people don't have freedom you can't. (Countries like the USA, Irak,
etc.)

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org