glibc 2.2.4 Release Notes

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 21:02:12 UTC 2001

joack at gmx.net writes:

> Does anybody know more about this? Does the "any" in the
> licenses really work the way Drepper claims?

Yes, I believe it does.  I've always thought that wording to be
ambiguous (does it mean that you, the user, choose what version to
apply, or is it always the latest?), but it's probably designed to
protect old software if flaws are discovered in the licence rather
than have to release new versions of every (L)GPL'd package.

This damn outburst has hit pretty much every Linux discussion site
going and it's generally being used to whip RMS.  While he may be
inflexible on things, he is consistent and (I think) usually
reasonably justified.  Has anyone got a full write-up with source
material of what just happened here?  The only source quoted in most
coverage seems to be Drepper, not Stallman.

One last thing: Please, if FSF supporters answer in discussions,
please be moderate and reasoned in your replies.  If you think you are
going to be misunderstood, maybe it's better to let someone else
answer.  Pointless flames of FS opponents will not help.